Large strain formulation in MARS

Different materials implemented by MARS

Large strain formulation in MARS

Postby licyjiandan » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:23 pm

Hi, I'm doing the simulation of "Finite Strain Tube-Squash Test", in which a concrete filled thick steel tube can achieve 50% deformation of its original length, as shown in the attachment. Currently, I'm simulating the test with steel tube only without concrete. I checked the MarsManual and did not find the description of large strain. So, how Mars deals with such large deformation? Thanks.
Attachments
Tube-Squash.png
Tube-Squash.png (191.39 KiB) Viewed 10687 times
licyjiandan

Re: Large strain formulation in MARS

Postby zhouxinwei » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:54 pm

MARS has the QPH shell elements which can handle such large deformation. There are related examples in our example library: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=84&p=188&hilit=examples#p188.
zhouxinwei

Postby licyjiandan » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:28 pm

zhouxinwei wrote:MARS has the QPH shell elements which can handle such large deformation. There are related examples in our example library: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=84&p=188&hilit=examples#p188.

Hi Xinwei,

Many thanks for your reply. But as I mentioned, the tube is a thick tube and its thickness is comparable with the filled concrete dimension and cannot be ignored. I would like to use tetrahedral or hexahedral element for the tube. So, how MARS deals with these elements under large deformation?

Best,
Chenyang
licyjiandan

Postby zhouxinwei » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:53 pm

You can refer to the first example in our example library. Try using Hex element with single integration point.
zhouxinwei

Return to Materials