Large Deformation Capability

Types include single IP (Flanagan-Belitshcko Formulation) with hourglass control, 8 IPs, rigid, etc

Large Deformation Capability

Postby weixinli » Wed May 04, 2016 10:06 pm

Hello,

I'm using the hex solid elements in the simulation of composite delamination. 3D solid instead of beam or shell elements are chosen in order to take advantage of the crack band model. However, I was wondering if solid elements in MARS has the large deformation formulation. The MRAS manual only mentioned Ten-Node Large Deformation Element while no detailed information were provided for other elements. The figure I uploaded shows one simulation I did with FBSingleIP 8-node hex elements, but I'm not sure if the results are accurate. Does anyone have any experience? Thanks.

Best,
Weixin
Attachments
LAG.png
LAG.png (34.33 KiB) Viewed 6176 times
weixinli

Re: Large Deformation Capability

Postby weixinli » Thu May 05, 2016 10:07 pm

A correction:

The simulation I'm working on is more related to a large displacement analysis. Does MARS implement co-rotational formulation for hex/tet solid elements?
weixinli

Re: Large Deformation Capability

Postby zhouxinwei » Fri May 06, 2016 10:21 pm

For Hex formulation, both single and 8 integration point scheme account for co-rotations; for Tet formulation, the large deformation does, the small deformation does not. We will update the manual with more information about this matter.

The example is not clear, can you please elaborate the problem you are trying to solve so we provide feedback? Such as the loading, boundary condition, result you expect and result you get. Posting the input files will be helpful.
zhouxinwei

Return to Hexahedral Solid Elements